Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ground Rules


I suppose that this would be the proper opportunity to lay out some ground rules for this blog. There is no time like the beginning to set expectations where they should be. I am going to be primarily writing about the heritage of the Annapolis Royal region. I do differentiate between heritage and history. Heritage, in my opinion, is more all encompassing and tends to include diverse elements like music, culture and natural history. History, while quite possibly the key element of heritage, is more concerned with the preservation of the record of events. That is as clear as mud I am sure.

I am professionally a Museum Director in Annapolis Royal and as such I will try to feature some of the interesting artifacts and archival resources in our collections. I can immediately think of a recipe book hand written by Fanny O'Dell, one of the inhabitants of the O'Dell House before it was a museum, which I will transcribe in sections and include in future blogs. If anyone actually tries one of the recipes, let me know how they work. I will also try to feature some of the interesting architecture, building elements and landscapes in our region. To an extent, this blog will also chronicle the ongoing life of heritage, with all of its events activities and programming, that take place in the Annapolis Royal region. A behind the scenes look at life in heritage in our small town.

As I mentioned, while I will be concentrating on Annapolis Royal and region, like everyone, I do travel to an extent. If I see something of interest I will be sure to make note of it. This may be a museum display someplace, interesting interpretive panels, a landscape that should be seen or some other heritage related item.

The image at the top of this blog is the Sieur deMonts statue at Fort Anne in Annapolis Royal. I have always been partial to this monument. deMonts was the leader of the 1604 French expedition to the coast of what is now Nova Scotia. It is on this trip that the French first named this area Port Royal as the basin was large enough to hold the entire French Royal fleet. While Champlain has gone on to be the most famous participant in this adventure, deMonts was in fact the leader. The monument was unveiled in 1904 during the town's 300th anniversary celebrations. Initial reaction on the part of Annapolitans (someone from Annapolis Royal) was mixed. People were expecting to have a full standing statue rather than the bronze bust of deMonts. Despite the original dissapointment, this monument has become an iconic part of the Annapolis Royal waterfront.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment