Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Living in Annapolis County

We took the train into Montreal today. We spent the day visiting family and caught the evening train out of town. My post tomorrow will deal with the train itself. Let me preface this by saying that I really enjoy Montreal. It is a world class city with countless things to see and do. I was joking earlier that I could use a three week stay just to visit all of the places to eat.

As I was sitting on the train leaving Montreal, I had the chance to do a bit of comparison between Montreal and Annapolis Royal. It was the lights of the city's skyline which got me thinking. Both communities are among the oldest European settlements in North America. Both were founded by the French and were the subject of ongoing battles through the seventeenth century. Both communities are very proud of their heritage.

In a modern sense, the communities could not be more different. Montreal is one of the cultural meccas of Canada with a huge population and it is constantly busy. Annapolis Royal is a rural community with a population of 445 with a busy season and an off season.

But, the Annapolis Royal region is more than this. In many ways we live in a bubble in Annapolis County. Our lives are very real but we are somehow sheltered from much of the harshness of the world. Yes we have our share of problems but for a tiny community we have a great spirit.

It is almost unbelievable to think that the Annapolis region supports organizations like the Historic Gardens, the Arts Council, King's Theatre as well as all of our Annapolis Heritage Society Museums. We can add to this list three Parks Canada National Historic sites or parks within a short drive. These are on top of all the things like the Lions Club, Hospital Auxillary, community bands, etc. We are blessed with a variety of cultural events but we are also blessed with a natural environment which is the envy of many places. From the tides of the Bay of Fundy to the salt marshes and the beauty of the North and South Mountains, we live in a wonderful part of the world. Montreal has its charms but Annapolis Royal is one of the most charming places on earth. Sometimes it is useful to step away from home to see how lucky you are.

All for now,
RGS

1 comment:

  1. "Montreal has its charms but Annapolis Royal is one of the most charming places on earth. Sometimes it is useful to step away from home to see how lucky you are."

    Isn't that the truth! If I had a nickle for every time I heard someone from my generation say "I can't wait to get out of this Go-No-Where place." I'd have enough money to tell my hubby to retire early from the Canadian Forces and move back "home".

    I, too, was one of those who couldn't wait to get away...and now I count the days until I can return to stay.

    ReplyDelete