Friday, January 16, 2009

A few more Angel Heads

Last week I posted a bit of background on the angel head designs which are often found on the older tombstones in Annapolis County. Since I have a few more of these images stored in files on my computer, I figured that I should post a few to demonstrate the differences in the carving. Most of these stones date somewhere between 1750 and 1812. All of these stones are located in the western part of Annapolis County.

I am not going to provide the information on who is buried at these stones at this time as it is the stones themselves that I am featuring. Note the differences in composition. Some of the images tend toward the gruesome while others are light and almost happy looking. Despite their differences, all of the images make use of the head with wings motif.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment