Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fannie's Recipes Part 4

It must have been the piece of cake that I had at lunch. If it wasn't, something else must have jogged my memory that it has been a while since I have posted a recipe from Fannie O'Dell's handwritten cookbook from the 1880s. I have posted some other information as well as some background on the cookbook in previous posts. To see some of these posts, click the Fannie's Recipes link in the labels menu on the left side of this page. As always, there are no baking or mixing instructions.

One of the things I find very appealing about this book is that the recipes were prepared in this very building. Fannie O'Dell lived in the O'Dell House long before it was a museum. If I were here 130 years ago, I could walk downstairs and hope to find something as exciting as today's gingerbread recipe served for dinner. As gingerbread is a personal favorite, I still to find some when I walk downstairs. Sadly my chances are pretty slim today.

Since I really do not have an appropriate image to go with this post, I thought that I would choose something randomly from my files. This image is of the Port Royal 400th Anniversary Society's float at the 2005 Natal Day parade in Annapolis Royal. In the middle of February it is nice to think of a warm August day in Annapolis Royal.

Gingerbread
1 1/2 cup butter
4 eggs
2 tablespoon
1 pint mollasses
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoon cream tartar
2 cups flour
2 cups water
2 cups sugar

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment