Friday, March 27, 2009

Back Home Again

I am not self absorbed enough to think that people may have missed my posts this week. But, if anyone was wondering why I wasn't posting, I had to make a short trip to Ontario and I was away from the computer. It was somewhat of a whirlwind with some personal stuff tossed into the middle so, it all seems like a blur right now. All this is to say that I am back, dragging a little bit, but I am back.

I had an interesting experience as I was flying back to Nova Scotia yesterday. My second flight of the day took me from Toronto to Halifax. I was lucky enough to have a window seat on the west side of the plane so I could see all of the landscape as we passed. For most of the trip there was a fairly thick covering of clouds but these started to dissipate as we were flying over New Brunswick. By the time we were over the Bay of Fundy, there was hardly a cloud to be seen. The view was improved by the fact that the sun was setting and the sky had a lovely reddish hew.

When we approached Nova Scotia we were flying at about 22 000 feet. At least the little television attached to the seat in front of me told me that we were flying at 22 000 feet. The first recognizable features on the Nova Scotia coast were Digby Neck with its associates Long and Brier Islands. As we flew on, the entire coast of South West Nova Scotia opened up. From that height, I could literally see all of Digby, Yarmouth and Shelburne counties at the same time. I have seen the google earth maps of Nova Scotia but it is a very different feeling to see so many recognizable landmarks from that height. I was even able to clearly pick out Annapolis Royal as we flew over. The turbulence of the water going through the tidal generating station makes a visible foam on the water of the Annapolis River. This makes it quite easy to find Annapolis Royal. I would have taken a picture of all of this to share but, I forgot my camera on the back seat of the car at the Halifax airport.

I could not help but wonder what Samuel de Champlain, the cartographer at the Port Royal Habitation in the early 1600s, would have thought the view from the airplane. The image at the top of this post is of Champlain's map of the Annapolis Basin. It is amazing how accurate that he was considering the equipment he was using.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment