Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Out Like a Lion

Ok, I am willing to accept a little bit of responsibility for the weather today. Yesterday I was so happy to see that the boat haul-up had opened for another season that I stared waxing philosophical about the coming of Spring. I had joyful visions of flowers and nesting birds. Well, Nova Scotia's ever changing weather lived up to its reputation. In a province where the expressions "if you don't like the weather just wait five minutes" and "if you don't like the weather out your front door just look out your back" are very appropriate, I was a bit too quick to rule winter out. When I woke up this morning, a late season snow storm had once again coloured everything white.

So, rather than complain about the weather, I am going to revel in it. When I stepped out for lunch, I made a quick side trip to upper St. George Street to see what things looked like. The pictures in this post are from that trip. This is not normally a day that I would bother taking pictures. The sky is overcast and the light is flat. But, if I am to revel in the late winter weather, why not take pictures today.

The houses featured in this post will be immediately recognizable to those familiar with Annapolis Royal. While these are some of the exceptional houses in town, they are by no means the only exceptional buildings. For someone interested in historic North American architectural styles, Annpolis Royal is a treasure. The buildings in this collection range in age from the 1914 Annapolis Royal train station at the bottom left to the 1708 deGannes-Cosby House which is the brown building with the gambrel roof.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment