Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Fannie's Recipes part 6

I noticed Fannie O'Dell's 1888 handwritten recipe book as I was moving some archival papers today. For those of you who have not seen any of my previous posts on this gem of a book, please take a look at the Fannie's Recipes button on the side of the page. Since it has been a while since I posted anything from this book, I decided to open it up to see if something jumped out at me. Appropriately for this time of year, a recipe jumped out at me almost in Easter Bunny fashion. The very first page I opened had a recipe for Easter Cake.

As usual, there are no baking instructions. I am going to suggest that the brandy should probably be used to soak the raisins and currants before adding them to the mixture. This seems to be a logical assumption. In a positive turn of events, Fannie has given us some decorating tips this time. The recipe calls for the cake to be iced "profusely". I am not exactly sure what she means by "profusely" in this context but, I guess that the icing should be fairly thick. I also like the addition of "walnuts laid in rows".

Today's image was taken on a recent walk through the Annapolis Royal Historic Gardens.

Easter Cake
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
4 eggs
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 glass brandy
1 cup raisins
1 cup currants
1 cup hickory nuts

baked and iced profusely
decorated with walnuts laid in rows


All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment