Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dress Rehersal

Years ago I read a novel written by the Canadian author Robertson Davies. Now, I have read many of Davies’ novels, quite often written in trilogy form, so the particular title and the particular trilogy elude me at the moment. The story itself was set behind the scenes in a drama company. The book was filled with Davies’ usual assortment of interesting, if somewhat damaged, characters, and went into great depth in describing the process of mounting the production. I can remember thinking that the book must be overblown. The personalities could not be that large, the off stage drama not that great.

I am just arrived home after the dress rehearsal for the Annapolis Heritage Society’s play Washing Soldiers 1797. While our off stage drama is not nearly as large as the novel, I am sure that Davies would recognize our process and personalities. I have decided that Davies may have been exaggerating for dramatic purposes but, he had a great understanding of how things work off stage. I am at least doing my best to live up to the somewhat damaged character label. I am sure that Writer - Director Kent Thompson, and various other members of the cast would also gleefully step up to the label.

In all honesty, it was a good rehearsal tonight. People were hitting their cues, remembering the words to the songs and seemingly enjoying themselves. We even tried out a few new tricks tonight to keep people who have seen the play last year on their toes. One of the tricks was so new that some members of the cast did not even know about it.

If you would like to see a bit of Annapolis Royal’s history turned gently on its ear, Washing Soldiers 1797 will take place on June 25, 26 and July 24, 25 and 31. All performances start at 7:00pm at the Annapolis Royal Farmer’s Market Square.

All for now,
RGS











1 comment:

  1. Hi Annapolis Royal,
    finally, I meet a Canadian who admits reading Canadian authors!! Whenever I ask my classmates if they have read Robertson davies/Alice munro/Atwood/whatever, i get blank stares.

    Here is my take on Robertson Davies:

    http://thenewcomer.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/more-canadian-literature/

    I didn't finish the Fifth Business trilogy BTW, I didn't like the second book, not as well-written as the first one.

    ReplyDelete