Sunday, July 12, 2009

Painting on a Rainy Day

Some astounding art was created in the middle of a downpour earlier today. Well, we did manage to squeeze in some pleasant weather in the morning and late afternoon but, for the most part, this years Artifacts and Interiors event at North Hills Museum was a soggy affair. Despite the rain, our artists and visitors had an enjoyable day.

While I forgot to count at the end of the day, there were are at least 35 new paintings created for this year's event. It is very interesting to see the differing interpretations of scenes and artifacts which we work with on a daily basis. I must admit that I left the museum lighter in cash than when I arrived. It makes it much harder to walk away from a painting when you know the subject very well. While a number of paintings caught my fancy, I restrained myself by only purchasing one. I am now in the process of trying to rationalize buying another for a Christmas gift.

In addition to the fun of seeing art created before your eyes, it was wonderful to see the camaraderie between the artists. I am not sure if this is the case in every community but there is an evident spirit of friendship and support between the artists working at this event. The second photograph in today's collection is an excellent example of what I am writing about. This image features Geoff Butler and Wayne Boucher working in the museum's barn. Geoff and Wayne have both won countless awards and are deservedly two of the cornerstones of the provincial arts community. Rather than being aloof, both men were content to have some fun and interact with the visitors and other artists. It was nice to hear laughter and see smiling faces on a rainy day.

The artwork created today will be available for purchase at the museum for the next month. Even if you are not interested in buying, it is worth a trip to the museum to see what was painted.

All for now,
RGS










No comments:

Post a Comment