Wednesday, September 23, 2009

High Tide, Low Tide

Ok, I know that it's been done before. Using two pictures to contrast a Bay of Fundy scene at high tide and low tide is not a new phenomenon. Despite the repetition, the tides in the Bay of Fundy are no less amazing. Any day I can step out the front door of the O'Dell House Museum in Annapolis Royal and see a 29 foot change in the tides. In comparison to the upper end of the Bay of Fundy where the tides can reach upward to 56 feet, this 29 foot change is somewhat modest. For my purposes, our 29 foot tides are both photogenic and impressive.

When I was out in front of the museum yesterday afternoon I noticed that there was a particularly high tide. With three members of our local scallop fleet tied up to the wharf I figured that this could make an interesting comparative photograph. The low tide photograph was taken when I arrived at work this morning. Note how the scallop boats are actually resting on the rocky bottom.

When I see images like these it gives me a great deal of respect for the men who piloted sailing vessels into the Bay of Fundy. It took an unimaginable amount of skill to bring vessels into these waters using only wind as a source of propulsion. Imagine the reaction of the French Captain Champdore as he sailed the first European ship into the bay and through the Digby Gut. With no prior knowledge of the tides, he must have been worried most of the time he was in the Bay.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment