Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sipping Wine at North Hills Museum

Ok, I'm impressed. Last night North Hills Museum hosted a wine tasting event featuring Gaspereau Vineyards. I will freely admit that I am a soft sell when it comes to the topic of wine. At home I have been told more than once that I may tend toward "wine geek". So be it, I still enjoyed last night's presentation by Winery Manager, Kim Strickland and Head Winemaker, Gina Haverstock. In addition to sampling six wines and a maple wine, there was discussion of what types of wine would go with different foods. I may try the bottle of Muscat I bought last night with the scallops I bought at the Annapolis Royal Farmers Market today.

I also appreciated last nights presentation from a heritage perspective (I have also been accused of being a heritage geek). Kim discussed the history of agriculture in Nova Soctia and how it has led to the present growth of the wine industry. While apples are still the major fruit crop in the Annapolis Valley, the number of acres under cultivation for grapes continues to increase. Makes me think that my six southern facing acres on the North Mountain may need a few grape vines. I would hate to miss a developing trend.

For any of you who would like to do the math on the number of posts accumulating on the left side of the page, you will note that this is post #200. When I started this blog in October of last year I wasn't sure where it would go but it has been a fairly pleasant experience over the course of the first 200 posts. Thanks to all of you for reading, commenting and giving me feedback on the street and by email.

I am using the 200th post as an opportunity to launch our newest Annapolis Heritage Society communications endeavour. Yesterday I opened a twitter account which you can find at http://www.twitter.com.odellmuseum/ There will also be a link to the twitter account on the left side of this blog. I am not totally sure how this will work since many of my thoughts take up more than 140 characters but, I am willing to give it a try. A new platform may help drum up more interest in what we do as an organization and what the Annapolis Royal region is as a community.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment