Sunday, October 18, 2009

Documenting Granville Ferry

I realized earlier this weekend that I have been somewhat negligent. Usually, I am quick to snap a photograph or two if there is anything interesting happening across the water from the O'Dell House Museum. I never cease to be amazed when I look across at the village of Granville Ferry. Whether it is the sunset, the tides, the cloud formations or just the pastoral beauty of the village I almost always find something beautiful. Thus, I was a bit surprised when I realized that I had only taken a handful of pictures which show this year's display of autumn colours. While not all of my images will end up getting posted, I will try to make sure that I do my best to keep documenting the community.

The second image in today's post is a bit of an oddball but it is also related to documenting the view of Granville Ferry. Annapolis Royal is located about one hour from the Greenwood airforce base. As such, it is not uncommon to have some sort of military aircraft circling above the town. A little over a week ago I heard a Hercules airplane circling over the town. Since this is fairly common I normally would not pay attention but this plane was flying lower than usual. As the plane circled over Granville Ferry, I saw five specks fall out the back. This was a "just when you thought you had seen it all" moment for me. Soon there were five red parachutes gracefully descending onto the rifle range on the North Mountain behind Granville Ferry. Another couple of passes brought more jumpers out of the plane. All told, there were at least 20 jumpers and a couple of drops which must have been for equipment. While the parachutes are a bit difficult to make out in this photograph, there are five of them hanging in the air above the village.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment