Friday, October 16, 2009

Fannie's Recipes Part 8

Today feels like a good day to post another entry from Fannie O'Dell's recipe book. One of the things I enjoy about this handwritten book from the 1880s is the use of interesting historic ingredients. Today's recipe has two such ingredients. By "milk sour" I assume that she was using what is now commonly called buttermilk. In her time, this would have been naturally soured milk as opposed to the artificially soured buttermilk we find at the store today. Sour milk would have been readily available since most houses would have kept a milk cow or two. These cows would have produced milk for cheese, butter and whatever else the household needed. I can still remember stories of my great grandmother in Guysborough County who took her excess butter into town to sell.

The ingredient which I really like in this recipe is "1/2 cup of suet". I can think of very few modern recipes which call for suet to be used. Most modern mincemeat recipes even call for alternatives to suet. Personally, I think that I would opt for the butter.

As always, let me know if you try this recipe. Since I have only made one recipe in this cookbook, I make no promises as to their taste but I would be interested to see how they turn out. By the way, today's photograph was taken on my trip to the Annapolis County Exhibition this summer.

Ginger-Bread Pudding
3 cups flour
1 cup milk sour - if sweet use cream of tartar
1/2 cup suet or butter
1 tablespoon soda
1 tablespoon molasses
Currants & Raisins

steam 1 1/2 hours

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment