Saturday, December 12, 2009

All Saints Anglican - Part 6

In many ways I would like this to be the last post I make about the sad loss of All Saints Anglican Church in Granville Centre. No matter how much I would like this to be the case, I just don't think that it is for a couple of reasons. My first reason is that I have a nagging feeling that someone will create a triumphal press release in the summer of 2010 touting what a wonderful project that this was. From the perspective of the recipients of the church in Louisiana this would probably be correct. They are inheriting a beautiful structure. The ironies that this church was built using government funds designed to protect Nova Scotia from Americans during the War of 1812 by an Anglican Bishop with a distaste for the New Lights can probably be overlooked. The fact that this is a sad loss to Nova Scotia which could not be prevented under current Canadian legislation should also be overlooked.

The second reason that this is probably not my last post on this topic is that I feel somewhat obliged to try to make something positive out of this sad situation. I have already begun discussions about hosting a symposium in Annapolis Royal on the importance of preserving our historic religious architecture. One of the potential speakers told me that he would speak, bake cookies or do whatever was needed. This sort of feedback made me quite happy. Hopefully this will be a forum to start a dialogue between religious groups and those who are interested in preserving heritage.

This current collection of photographs was taken to document the site of All Saints Church as it appears as of the middle of December. The clear exception is the top image which was included to show what the property looked like at the start of demolition. Just over a week ago I had heard that a crew was at work burning some of the remains of the church. I figured that I should probably get a few images to document this part of the process. I must admit that I was a bit surprised that the burning of the remains would take place right on the spot where the church once stood. I guess that this is just one more surprise in a strange process.

The other photograph of note in this collection shows the location in the foundation where a slate cornerstone reading 1814 once rested. I suppose that this stone will accompany the remainder of the building to Louisiana.

All for now,
RGS













No comments:

Post a Comment