Monday, December 14, 2009

Fannie's Recipes Part 9

Since the Christmas baking season seems like it is moving into full swing, I thought that this would be a good opportunity to transcribe another recipe from Fannie O'Dell's 1880s cookbook. You can find the history of this little book as well as some of the other recipes I have posted at this link. As always, if you try one of these recipes, please let me know how it turns out. Since the recipes do not include baking instructions and do have interesting if vague ingredients like "flavour" these recipes are not for the faint of heart. I am assuming that "flavour" was something pleasant in a cake like vanilla or cinnamon rather than onions or garlic.

Mountain Cake

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup milk
3 1/2 cups flour
4 eggs
2 teaspoon tartar
1 teaspoon soda
flavour

As for today's image, I figured that I should be topical and include a mountain of some kind. This map is Samuel de Champlain's original chart of the Annapolis Basin. The illustration shows both the ranges known as the North and South Mountains which run on either side of the Annapolis Valley.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment