Monday, February 8, 2010

Fannie's Recipes - Part 10

I think that this will be a short post tonight. I had a day bookended with meetings and a bunch of tending to details jammed in the middle so I am probably not at my writerly best this evening. The fact that I have been blindly staring at the screen for the last five minutes would seem to confirm this. At least I am not drooling... much.

What I will offer today is another installment from Fannie O'Dell's handwritten recipe book from the 1880s. These are the actual desserts which were prepared when the O'Dell House was home to a growing family. Today's recipe is a fairly simple cake which Fannie has called "Loaf Cake". Like the other recipes in this collection there are no mixing instructions or directions for how long the cake was to be baked. I have discussed what I believe are the reasons for this lack of detail in an earlier posts. As always, if you do try to bake this cake, please let me know how it turns out.

Loaf Cake

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 pint flour
1 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Today's image is a view of what greeted me upon my return home after this evening's meeting. Believe it or not, twenty minutes of shovelling was a positive thing at the end of the day. The fresh air gave me a bit of a chance to clear my head.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment