Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Eugene "Bud" Hamm Wood Carvings

Some time has passed since I first wrote about the collection of wood carvings which have recently been given to the Annapolis Heritage Society. In fact, when I first wrote about the Eugene "Bud" Hamm collection I was really writing more about the walls of the house than the wood carvings. I figured that this would be a good opportunity to show some of the photographs of the wood carvings which I took while documenting the collection in situ. I must confess that when I first arrived at the house that the collection was somewhat overwhelming. There were not only carvings on every horizontal surface but the doors and walls were also covered. No matter where you turned there was a piece of art. In the few spaces where he had not placed wood carvings he had installed large plaster relief carvings. I had the feeling of stepping inside the massive creativity of one individual.

As we go along, I am bound to have additional posts on this collection. There is such an amazing diversity of style and subject that I will have ample material. For the time being, the collection is being safely stored at the O'Dell House Museum. We are also working on our first display of the Hamm wood carving collection for this summer.

All for now,
RGS








































1 comment:

  1. Nice way to decorate your walls. I have never done that. My effort to beautify the walls in my house was to order big-sized canvas prints from wahooart.com, from images of western art. I use the same angel motifs in all of the rooms painted by different painters, such as this one by very interesting English artist Stanley Spencer, http://EN.WahooArt.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-8LT7K6

    ReplyDelete