Friday, April 23, 2010

ANSM Conference

For the past few days I have been attending the Association of Nova Scotia Museums' annual conference in Port Hawkesbury on Cape Breton Island. I wish that I had a bit more time to explore this corner of Cape Breton since I have not spent much time in this part of the province. In a busy couple of days I listened to some very good presentations, caught up with some friends and may have seen the museum sector in Nova Scotia striking out in a very positive new direction. While time will only tell about the positive direction, I saw some very encouraging signs. I would like to offer my thanks to the organizing committee and ANSM staff for the work that they have done in putting this conference together.

This morning was the ANSM's annual general meeting. Again this year they will be under the gentle guidance of returning President Pauline Thompson from Cape Breton. After a productive year last year I am looking forward to seeing continued strength from this group. All of the board should be thanked for their commitment and dedication to museums and heritage in Nova Scotia. Most of the new and returning board members are in the photograph at the top of this post.

There was a very unfortunate event at this year's conference. I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to the family of Ned MacDonald who sadly and suddenly passed while attending the conference. While I did not know Mr. MacDonald personally, I had just heard him speak with great pride about his association with the Inverness Miners Museum. He will be missed by the museum community.

RGS


























No comments:

Post a Comment