Friday, May 7, 2010

Falling Down, Falling Down

I had a few free minutes tonight so I decided to flip through some archival images to see if anything would catch my attention. Over the course of this blog I have posted a number of images of the Annapolis Royal to Granville Ferry bridge in various stages of its existence. The bridge, and its eventual collapse, are still a topics of great historical interest in the Annapolis Royal area. Everyone seems to have a story or a memory of where they were when the middle span of the bridge fell into the water. I have actually started to refer to the legendary last bus to cross the bridge as the Woodstock bus. Like the attendees at the famed 1967 music festival, more people have claimed to be on the bus than could possibly be true.

So, what caught my eye about this particular collection of images? I have indeed seen many different images of the bridge but the top image has captured something I have never seen. This image actually captures the last span as it plunges into the water. A plume of smoke can be seen rising into the air as the pier is destroyed. I have seen images of the spans lying in the water before, but I had never before seen anything documenting how the piers were removed. These four images, dated November 1961, were taken by Tommy Rose who worked as a photographer in the Annapolis Royal area from the late 1950s until the 1980s. This collection can be found in the Annapolis Heritage Society Archives.

All for now,
RGS











No comments:

Post a Comment