Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Road Work - Part 3

I had actually started writing another post today, but I learned that some of the information I was working with was a bit misleading. When I finally sorted out the dates in the old style and new style French calendars, I realized that I will need to wait about 10 days for the post to be timely. No matter, I will get to Sir William Phips and his 1690 attack on Port Royal in due time. I will provide a preview by saying that a promise was made not to loot and pillage the town. I wonder if the promise was kept.

What always seems to be timely around the O'Dell House museum these days is the state of construction on St. George Street. With most of the work on the first phase complete, the crew has moved on to digging directly in front of the museum. I must admit that I am very happy to see how nice the refurbished granite curbstones look in the section which is already complete. You can see some of the stones which will be used in the next section of curbing in one of the images in this post. I am also pleasantly surprised with the look of the exposed aggregate sidewalk which was installed. One of the elements of this work which constantly unnerves me is the steam roller. Whenever this machine is used the entire museum shakes and vibrates. I am waiting for something to either fall off a wall or for a huge crack to appear in our plaster.

I have been continuing my random explorations of the construction site to see if anything of archaeological merit is being unearthed. So far I have found a handful of pottery shards, glass, some nails, a lovely horse shoe, and a series of small clam shells. The shells were located in a very sandy layer about 30cm below the surface directly below a very dark layer containing slag and clinkers from a blacksmith's forge. Had this digging been done in an archaeological pit I can imagine the excitement of the crew as they moved from one layer to the next. Quickly formulated theories about the origin of the shells would have been exchanged and refined. Alas.

Because there are currently some safety issues in getting into the museum, we have decided to temporarily close the building to the public. I am hoping that this will only be a short closure since I hate to be closed at this time of year. Despite this closure, we did have a nice Dutch family make their way to our front door looking for a tour today. Perhaps it bodes well for our visitor season that people are willing to trek through construction to get to our door.

All for now,
RGS























No comments:

Post a Comment