Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Man with the Tam

Toward the end of last week Tim Cress and I made another trip to Clarence, Nova Scotia to collect one of Eugene (Bud) Hamm's carvings. It is getting so that I am fairly familiar with the path between Annapolis Royal and Clarence. There are now only a handful of carvings left at the house. On this trip collected the large carving of the man wearing a tam. This is a statue of Bud himself wearing his trademark hat.

Originally I had thought that I was going to include this piece in the Bud Hamm exhibit that we are starting to assemble at the O'Dell House Museum. By the time we got the statue onto the truck and then safely placed at the museum, I realized that this was not going to be an easy piece to display in an upstairs gallery. I will admit that I have carried heavier pieces up the stairs but the combination of weight and delicate condition will make this a difficult piece to display. Due to the subject matter and sheer scale of the carving, I am still planning to make a serious attempt to include this artifact in the display.

On a totally unrelated note, I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to the family of Jeanne (Doucet) Currie. I was greatly saddened when I learned of her passing. Within the last month Jeanne and her husband Wayne had played concerts at both North Hills and the Sinclair Inn museums. When listening to Jeanne sing you could not help but smile and tap your feet. If you were not watching closely enough you were bound to wind up with a pair of spoons or some sort of noise maker in your hands so you could play along. In addition to being a wonderful singer and a proud ambassador for Acadian culture, Jeanne was one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. She will be missed.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment