Friday, June 4, 2010

Nova Scotia Heritage Conference - Day 2

This post is really about the second day of the Nova Scotia Built Heritage Conference, but I am going to take the opportunity to give a friendly reminder about the Sinclair Inn Museum's 300th birthday party. The event takes place tomorrow, June 5, from 12 noon to 4pm in the parking lot beside the museum. This should be a fun event with an appearance by our own 1710 version of Queen Anne, period demonstrators, and music by ECMA award winner Jeanne (Doucette) Currie. Cake and lemonade will also be the order of the day.

When I had a chance to get a break from the proceedings of the heritage conference today, I noticed that my diligent staff were hanging the bunting at the Museum. There is just something about bunting which adds a festive air to a building. While we were not trying to replicate the roofline with our bunting, we seem to have done an admirable job of recreating the angle. We also mounted a small sign to mark the 300th anniversary above the door.

As for the conference, things went very well after we got a few technological glitches figured out this morning. With the proper cables connecting projectors and laptops, the day rolled forward without a hitch. Our "Champions of Heritage" panel Juanita Bigelow, Dawn Sloane and Jane Nicholson, provided some inspiring material for anyone even remotely interested in heritage. To an audience of heritage advocates, it was a welcome reminder that our efforts are worthwhile. I was left with the feeling that preserving heritage is indeed possible as well as being the right thing to do.

Just before lunch I was very interested to learn that there will be a legislative review of the Heritage Property Act. This will be a welcome review as there have been elements like the ability to demolish registered heritage structures without municipal approval by waiting a year from the date of the original application. This crazy piece of legislation has bothered the heritage community for years. I encourage all proponents of heritage in Nova Scotia to get involved in this process. This is an opportunity to make a positive change in the system but we must make our voice heard.

The day ended with a presentation on the physical context of Nova Scotia's built heritage environment by Jeffery Reed. As he usually does, Jeffery left me speechless at the depth of his knowledge about built heritage in our province. I am very happy with the results of this conference. I think that we had some terrific sessions, a chance for heritage folks to exchange ideas and an opportunity to showcase our beautiful town. I would be hard pressed to ask for more. I would also like to extend my thanks to my fellow organizing committee members. They were a good group to work with and we pulled together a great conference.

Since the room at King's Theatre was fairly dark, I did not get nearly as many pictures as I did yesterday.

All for now,
RGS





















No comments:

Post a Comment