Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Picnic

Since tomorrow is Canada Day (July 1) is Canada Day, I figured I should take a look to see if we had any properly festive archival images in the Annapolis Heritage Society collection. I digitally flipped through many images of celebrations at Fort Anne, some images of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, and many different parades running both up and down St George Street. While these were all interesting images, they were not quite what I was looking for. I have been fairly busy lately so I was looking for images of holiday activities which were a bit more pastoral. Something showing people enjoying themselves in the beautiful countryside around Annapolis Royal was what I was looking for. Then it struck me, I needed to find some images of people on a picnic.

This collection of images comes from three different collections held by the AHS Archives. Since I have a range of images, I will only say that they were taken between the 1890s and the 1920s. In each of the pictures you can see that, despite being out in nature, that a picnic was a somewhat formal event. While people are not wearing their best clothes, they are all well dressed. I also find it interesting that each of these images show far more women enjoying the picnic than men.

All for now,
RGS















No comments:

Post a Comment