Thursday, June 24, 2010

Remembering Membertou

I have spent too much time in the sun today so this is just going to be a short post. Earlier today at the Port Royal Habitation there was a ceremony to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the baptism of Mi'Kmaq Sagamo (Grand Chief) Membertou. This was an interesting event which combined a religious service, a re-enactment of the baptism and a series of cultural demonstrations in the afternoon. The Habitation was a beautiful and appropriate backdrop to commemorate the christening and the memory of Henri Membertou.

On a personal note, I was thrilled to find someone flintknapping to make arrow heads. I watched with awe since I have always wanted to learn this craft. I can add this to my list of random skills from previous centuries that I would like to develop.

All for now,
RGS






















No comments:

Post a Comment