Wednesday, July 7, 2010

On the North Mountain Looking Down.

Have you ever wondered what Annapolis Royal looks like if you were to hike to the top of the North Mountain behind Granville Ferry? I have taken the opportunity to hike up the mountain a few times, but but I have never done so from Granville Ferry. My hikes have usually taken place closer to my home in Granville Beach and Port Royal. While I have been able to see Annapolis Royal in the distance, I have never seen the full panorama of the town as photographer Paul Yates did when he took this picture.

Looking at the image under magnification, I can comfortably say that it was taken between 1908 and 1920. I am basing this date on two facts. The 1908 extension to the Queen's Wharf at the foot of Fort Anne is in place and the the houses on lower St George Street which were burned in 1920 are still there. I am sure that I could narrow the date down a bit more with some further examination of the image.

Interestingly, almost every wharf is loaded with wood or sawn lumber. This clearly demonstrates that this was still a busy waterfront at this time. The schooner seen at the end of the Pickels and Mills Wharf is quite possibly the Mapleland which spent much of its life tied up on the Annapolis Royal waterfront. The masts of a second schooner can be seen on the Granville Ferry side of the water.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment