Sunday, August 22, 2010

Paint the Town 2010

What do you get when you have 70 artists descend on a small Nova Scotia town for two days of painting? Well, if you mix in raising money for a good cause, a large dose of community spirit and the scenic backdrop of Annapolis Royal, you get the Annapolis Region Community Arts Council's annual Paint the Town event. As a bonus, you also get an eagerly anticipated event filled with beautiful paintings. All this and the Eggomatic Chopper for only... oh wait, there is no Eggomatic Chopper only paintings.

Now in its 15th year, this event is one of the main fundraisers for ARCAC. In reality, this event is more than just a fundraiser, Paint the Town is a major community effort. Each year more than 100 volunteers (not including artists) help with fetching paintings from around the community, hanging artwork in the Legion, feeding the starving artists, setting up and dismantling display panels and countless other needed duties. As I have the last few years, I reprised my role as the big mouthed person who tries to keep a semblance or order as people are coming through the checkout at the end of the silent auction. I wonder if I am being typecast? In reality, Paint the Town is also an opportunity to buy artwork produced by some of our province's most talented painters. I made my way home with three new paintings although I am now wondering where they will will hang. It seems that our walls have been amply with the fruits of previous Paint the Towns.

All for now,
RGS





No comments:

Post a Comment