Monday, September 20, 2010

Antique Appriasal North Hills Museum Style

Yesterday was the day of the annual North Hills Museum antiques appraisal event. Please note that I have gone out of my way not to break the copyright of any travelling roadshow type event. As these events usually are, this one was quite a bit of fun. It is always interesting to see what treasures appear out of the basements and attics of the Annapolis Royal region. This year our very talented group of appraisers were Roger Crowther, Louis LeRoux and Rosemary Beckett.

We are now in our third year for this event and we have seen a Maud Lewis painting every year. I am not totally surprised to see these paintings but it is always nice to see work by the queen of Nova Scotia folk artists. I was also interested to see some pre-Colombian pottery from South America, a lovely portrait of a child from the 1820s which was most likely painted in Quebec. We saw books, paintings, a glass tool for pressing lace, furniture, silver and even a gun. While I did not have an antique to appraise, I enjoyed spending time listening to the opinions and ideas of our experts.

As a final note for today, I would like to offer my sympathies to the family of Grant Potter. Grant, the Recreation Director for the Town of Annapolis Royal tragically died in a traffic accident on Thursday of last week. I had the good fortune to work on a number of projects with Grant through the years. Among other things, we had a great deal of fun assembling his history of sports and recreation in Annapolis Royal. His unfailing smile and good humour were always evident whenever I was working with him. His smile was even brighter when we were talking about his family or his beloved Boston Bruins. The Bruins logo at the bottom of this post in in honour of Grant's memory.

All for now,
RGS


















No comments:

Post a Comment