Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back to School

A few minutes ago I found myself packing a school lunch for the first time in a couple of months. No, I am not heading back to school myself, but a couple family members are heading back to their respective sides of the classroom. Out came the lunch bag and the inexpensive plastic containers which we don't mind losing if they happen to go missing. I had almost forgotten about this nightly ritual of trying to mix some form of healthy food with things that a child may actually eat. I guess it is time for everyone to reestablish their daily patterns.

To mark the start of another school year, I figured that I could share some archival images of one of Annapolis Royal's former schools. The County Academy was built in 1900 on the lot formerly occupied by the Grange and currently occupied by the Annapolis Royal Regional Academy. Architecturally this was a stunning building which would have added to the grand streetscape of Upper St George Street. With turrets on the front and side of the building along with Romanesque windows topped with a keystone decoration on the second floor, this is a building that pedestrians would stop to admire. With all of the windows, this must have been a bright and airy place of learning. Sadly, a fire on the night of January 4, 1939 reduced the County Academy to the pile of ashes that can be seen in the top image.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment