Tuesday, September 14, 2010

End of the Rainbow

While they may be famed in song and story, rainbows are a fleeting thing. One moment a vivid ribbon of colour flashes across the sky and the next they have vanished. When I pulled out of the grocery store parking lot this evening I saw one of the brightest rainbows I have ever seen. This was not some sectional representation of a rainbow but a vivid arc across the sky. With my camera beside me, I tried to quickly drive to a vantage point where I could get a picture of this impressive sight. By the time I had turned the corner, stopped the car, turned on the hazard lights and grabbed my camera the rainbow had already started to fade. I was able to snap one quick photograph out the car window but, by the time I crossed to road the rainbow was gone.

From this vantage point it looks like the rainbow ends in the Annapolis Royal Marsh. This marsh, and the walking trail which surrounds it, are important features in Annapolis Royal. Among the historic uses for this area are agricultural fields, a venue for travelling circuses and an airport. Today the lands have been transformed into a fresh water marsh. When walkers are not making their way around the trail, the waterfowl and muskrats have the run of the facility. Actually, anyone who has encountered a Canada Goose on the trail will tell you who is really in charge.

This image also provides me with the opportunity to mention another terrific Annapolis Royal blog. Since May, Lois Jenkins has been keeping a photographic journal entitled Wildlife on the Annapolis Royal Marsh. This is an excellent way to keep up with birds and animals who are living around Annapolis Royal. I am also quite envious of Lois' abilities as a wildlife photographer.

All for now,
RGS

No comments:

Post a Comment