Monday, October 11, 2010

Commemorating 1710 - Part 2

Early last week I wrote a post about events in Annapolis Royal to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the 1710 siege of Port Royal. In the aftermath of this siege, the community of Port Royal was renamed Annapolis Royal and Nova Scotia became a British possession. Since I had a great number of pictures from this event, I decided to write two posts. As I often do, I managed to get distracted by a couple of other topics but I am now getting back to my plan.

After the commemorative events at Fort Anne, the festivities moved to several other locations in town. There was a dramatic vignette in front of St Luke's Church, a dedication of a monument to the St Jean Baptiste parish cemetery at the Garrison Burial Grounds and an open house at the deGannes-Cosby House. I always enjoy an opportunity to visit the deGannes-Cosby House which was built in 1708. There is a deep feeling of history when you spend time in the oldest wood framed building in Canada. The dedication of the monument to the Acadian cemetery in Annapolis Royal is an important event in its own right so it will get a post of its own at some point. In addition to being a commemoration of important historical events, this was an entertaining afternoon. Our thanks to our friends at the Historical Association of Annapolis Royal and the Town of Annapolis Royal for organizing this commemoration.

All for now,
RGS









































1 comment:

  1. Your pics are wonderful! Am just reading G.G.Campbell's History of Nova Scotia. Just read about this event in history. Seeing the photos makes it much more real. My mother was born in Annapolis Royal and her parents in Digby. Hope some day to visit.

    ReplyDelete