Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Autumn Curators' Meeting -2010

I was up before the sun on Friday morning. This was the day of the South West Nova Scotia Curators' meeting and I needed to meet a couple of my fellow Curators and make a cross province drive to Bridgewater by 10 am. Coffee in hand, I made my way out the door on time to meet my travelling companions Sheryl Stanton from the Admiral Digby Museum and Dorothy Outhouse from the Islands Museum. Despite a somewhat rain soaked drive, we had a good chance to chat about various museum related topics during our trip. We even managed to get to the DesBrisay Museum in Bridgewater with a couple of minutes to spare.

I always enjoy our spring and autumn curators' meetings. It is great to get the opportunity to discuss issues, concerns and potential partnerships with other museum folk. As the curator of rural museums, I do not usually get to visit with other museum professionals on a daily basis. At least from my point of view, the exchange of ideas is appreciated. It is also fun to learn what the other museums have been doing and generally catch up with friends. Thanks to Barb Thompson and the nice folks at the DesBrisay Museum for hosting us.

From a personal point of view, I also enjoy having the opportunity to browse around the host museum's building. Through the day I tend to scrawl down a couple of notes about interesting exhibit concepts, display techniques or other ideas that I may someday need. While I have admired the DesBrisay Museum's open storage area for their folk art collection in the past, this is the first time that I have see this area since the Eugene Hamm Collection was donated to the Annapolis Heritage Society. I have always liked the visible storage concept and this may be an interesting way to both store and display this fascinating collection. Maybe this kernel of an idea will grow into something interesting at the O'Dell House Museum. Time will tell.

All for now,
RGS






No comments:

Post a Comment