Wednesday, December 29, 2010

30 Rock in Annapolis Royal

Would you believe me if I told you that this picture was taken in Annapolis Royal? It would probably be for the best if you did not since you could stack most of the houses in Annapolis Royal on top of one another and not have a structure as tall as those in this image. No, this is not Annapolis Royal but the famous plaza at Rockefeller Center in New York City.

I can almost see the puzzled looks as to why this image is appearing in a blog about the heritage of Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia. Well, within the AHS archival collection we have what I would consider a number of oddball images. These are generally images which were taken by local residents as they traveled. When the family collection of images was donated to the archives, these images were included. As a small example, we have images of the French countryside during World War 1, industrial buildings in Boston in the early 1900s and unidentified images of sea lions playing. While we have a wonderful assortment of local wildlife, I have yet to see a sea lion frolicking on the shores of the Bay of Fundy. While these images are somewhat out of place in our collection, they are important because they document the travels and adventures of our local residents. In this festive season I figured that I could justifiably share this image from the Schaffner Collection.

Evidently, Rockefeller Center was first officially decorated with a Christmas tree in the early 1930s. While this image is undated, based on the archival collection where this image was found, I feel safe in stating that this is one of the trees from the late 1930s or early 1940s. The iconic statue in this image is of the Greek Titan Prometheus bringing fire to mankind. This bronze was sculpted by Paul Manship.

All for now,
RGS

1 comment:

  1. I think so too, It tells alot about the community and group. welcome to the Genea Bloggers group, I look forward to reading; I am terribly behind, sorry] your posts. I will be looking to see where your German people descended.
    Merry Christmas late, and hope you have a good New Year. from jo arootdigger at Genealogy of Oldendorf,und Nahrendorf.

    ReplyDelete