Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fannie's Recipes Part 11

I can't believe that it has almost been a year since I last reached into Fannie O'Dell's 1888 handwritten recipe book to see what I could find. I consider this little volume one of the treasures in the Annapolis Heritage Society's archival collection and I enjoy transcribing the recipes. It is quite thrilling to have access to the actual recipes that the members of the O'Dell family would have known. Spending most of my days telling stories about this family at the O'Dell House Museum, an archival document like this gives me additional insights into my subject.

Today's recipe is a pie filling that Fannie has dubbed Washington Pie. Nowhere has Fannie provided us with instructions for a crust. Like many cooks she may have simply memorized her list of ingredients for pie crusts. As for the pie, it is a fairly simple filling and seems to be in the custard family. Like the O'Dells, I am also partial to the custard family. As always, if you decide to try one of Fannie's recipes let me know how it turns out.

The images in today's post were taken during a stop at Fort Anne this afternoon. While the Fort's landscape can look fairly barren in the winter, it still has a certain charm. On the other hand, I am sure that it was not all that charming for an 18th century soldier standing on sentry duty as the cold winds blew off the Annapolis Basin.

All for now,
RGS

Washington Pie
1 egg
1 cup sugar
butter half size of egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cream tartar
1 cup flour

*Note
Check the comments since someone with a greater knowledge of Washington Pie than I have has added some helpful information.

1 comment:

  1. Washington Pie is actually more like a cake than a pie. I may give this recipe a go sometime. To make it, traditionally, you'd make two of the round pie/cake layers (recipe you've posted), layering them with a fruit compote/jam type filling in between the layers.

    ReplyDelete