Monday, February 21, 2011

Heritage Days 2011 - Monday

Today was the final day of our Heritage Days 2011 festivities. We ended up back where we began on Friday night with a presentation on archaeology at St Luke's Church Hall. This time Rebecca Duggan, an Archaeologist for Parks Canada was discussing the archaeology of Fort Anne. This was a very interesting presentation (complete with a number of 17th and 18th century maps of Port Royal / Annapolis Royal I had not previously seen).

I was also interested to see the box of archaeological artifacts that she had brought with her. I am very happy whenever someone comes bearing a box full of Annapolis Royal artifacts. The box contained objects ranging from pre-contact Mi'Kmaq ceramics and clay pipes to a metal lock and a wonderful 18th century wine bottle. I always find it exciting to see artifacts that were used in our community hundreds of years ago. From the way people in the audience rushed to the display table at the end of the proceedings, I guess that I am not the only one.

All for now,
RGS







No comments:

Post a Comment