Tuesday, March 15, 2011

View from the Causeway

Living where I do I tend to cross the Annapolis River Causeway at least two times per day. From the tidal generating station and mackerel fishing to the flying foam and large mysterious bumps just before you reach Annapolis Royal, there are some interesting things that happen along the causeway. One of the things I always enjoy about going across this structure is the chance to have a look at the scallop boats which are moored there. These are among the boats which venture out into the Bay of Fundy to fish for the famous Digby scallops.

While these boats add to the scenery of my drive, they are also quite interesting to watch. In the dead of winter you can see crews rowing out to their vessels. I always marvel at how cold this work must be. When they return from the bay you can see the odd scallop shell fly out of an opening on the side of the boat as the crew shuck their catch. Far more than scenery, these are hardworking members of our community.

Having spent years watching this spot I know that the water is rarely ever glassy calm. Between the wind and the tidal currents there is usually some disturbance on the surface of the water. This morning when I saw the reflection of the boats mirrored in the water I decided that it would be a good idea to pull the car over to get some pictures.

All for now,
RGS



No comments:

Post a Comment