Saturday, April 9, 2011

Woodlawn Cemetery

Earlier this afternoon I found myself with a few free minutes to locate my Project 365 image for today. I was in town attending a Saturday morning planning meeting for the upcoming International Gathering of the Clans event which will be held in Annapolis Royal on the weekend of June 25. When I left the meeting I started looking around for something new to photograph. Realizing I needed to put some gas in the car, I decided to head toward Lequille to see if there was something photo worthy. As I was driving down the road, I noticed that the entrance to Woodlawn Cemetery was accessible. The snow which had blocked the entrance had melted and the gravel road that circles the cemetery looked passable so, in I went.

I enjoy Woodlawn cemetery as a landscape. With gently rolling hills and mature trees, this is a wonderful place to wander. Today was a very nice day to wander because there was not another (living) person in sight. The cemetery is also back from the road so you are not disturbed by traffic noise. I was free to walk around, admire the tombstones and appreciate the tranquility. On a warm spring afternoon it was nice to listen to the wind and the birds. I also looked for places that the French Governor Jacques-Francois de Monbeton de Brouillon's heart would have been buried after he died returning to Port Royal in 1705. While British soldiers evidently found his heart in their search for gold after capturing Port Royal, I was not as fortunate in my search.

One of the things that I like about this cemetery is that it gives a physical presence to many of the names that I deal with on a daily basis. Whether interpreting the history of our community to museum visitors or helping researchers in the AHS Genealogy Centre, I am constantly referring to who lived in Annapolis Royal long before I was born. At Woodlawn I am able to see the graves of members of the O'Dell family who lived in our building before it was a museum. I can see the final resting places of community leaders, notable characters and regular citizens. I find it interesting to see which family names are buried together in plots and to reconstruct the relationships that would have existed. Who knew that I would discover so much when I left my meeting.

All for now,
RGS






No comments:

Post a Comment