Sunday, May 8, 2011

Archival Mother's Day

As it was in many houses, today was a big day in our house. Breakfast was served in bed, handmade gifts involving pipe cleaners and popsicle sticks were presented and flowers were purchased. Yes, these are the hallmarks of Mother's Day. The day of the year dedicated to thanking all hardworking mothers for their sacrifices, guidance and love. Could we ever find enough pipe cleaners and popsicle sticks to pay proper tribute?

I decided to take a look through the AHS archival collection to see if I could find any interesting images of mothers. While I am sure that many of the women in the pictures I was looking at were mothers, I had a fairly rigid idea of the type of image I wanted to find. I wanted images of a women interacting with their children. Now, these images could easily be Aunt Jane or the lady from down the road playing with the children but at least they present a maternal appearance. Although they come from different collections, these images were taken circa 1900. I find to interesting to think how drastically the role of women within the household has changed from the time that these image were taken. I hope that the mothers in your life had an enjoyable day.

All for now,
RGS




No comments:

Post a Comment