Wednesday, June 22, 2011

John Ritchie House, Lequille - Part 1

It feels like it has been a while since I have written about a local building being torn down. For those of us concerned with the preservation of our local built heritage, that is a very good thing. It is always hard to see a building that has graced our landscape for an extended period of time get pulled down. Well, my peace of mind came to an end on a rainy day at the end of last week.

Just off of Highway 201 in Lequille sits a small saltbox style house. I have driven by this house countless times as I make my way through the community. I have frequently thought that I should stop and take some pictures because it was obviously an early building. With the saltbox style and timber-framed construction, this had the potential for being a stunning restoration project. While there was potential, the house had been gutted a number of years ago and was essentially sitting in a much deteriorated form.

When I turned the corner onto the 201 and saw this building without its windows and clapboard sheathing, I knew that this was something I needed to immediately document. Camera in hand, I hopped out of my car and went over to see the men working on the house. I politely asked if I could take some pictures. They probably thought that I was nuts because I was wandering around in a torrential rainfall photographing a building that had sat in the same location for 200 years but, I am glad that I got the pictures.

In the coming days I will have more pictures of this house to share. I have an excellent collection that I photographed this morning which will be used in another post so that the deconstruction process is more evident. I will also try to provide some history of the building as well as what I have learned about the future of the frame.

All for now,
RGS





1 comment:

  1. I saw this coming down yesterday as was disappointed that it was not restored. Thanks for getting the last pictures of it Ryan! Brenda T.

    ReplyDelete